Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Scorpion Sting

This first part I wrote yesterday, 4/6. We are referring to the Arizona Bark Scorpion, should you want to do your own research. Not that I think anyone would want to. The second part is how I'm doing today, 4/7.

PART 1
I *might* wish this on my worst enemy. But even that seems cruel.

These little bastards are just that - bastards.

I was in the office, prepping my work materials. I turned on the swivel chair for something, my foot brushed under the laptop case sitting on the floor....and BAM! I look down, and sure enough, there's a scorpion.

I started screaming like a banshee, getting DH up and out of bed like a lightning strike. He sat me down and started looking for the fucker. Found it in a box of batteries and killed. Said it's the biggest one he's found to date - my stupid luck.

As I was sitting there, I called my boss - don't ask why, it just seemed like something that needed done. She's totally cool about it, including getting someone to take my stores. I also called my mom and bff to bitch, cuz it REALLY hurt and DH was on a hunting mission.

When my mom called back, I was starting to feel a tickle at the back of my throat, that then spread to my lips. I think I really scared her, cuz most of that convo was "We need to leave for the ER NOW!" Thought I was having an allergic reaction. When I was a kid, I had an allergic reaction to a bee sting or two, but not as an adult.

Turns out, it was just the neuro-toxin from the sting getting to that part of my body. It never got worse, and I'm not dead. It did however, get me slightly faster service at the ER, since no one wanted me dying on their watch. LOL

These little fuckers are VICIOUS. Their neuro-toxin is super concentrated and VERY effective at what it does. IT spread through my foot, then my leg, then my whole body. At one point, it felt as if EVERYTHING in my body was asleep - major pins and needles all over. Now it's receded, and it's just a massive burning pain in my toe and foot. Like, I would rather cut it off at this point than deal.

They gave me ibuprofen and norco, which so far has just made me high and a little nauseous. Which means I don't care so much.

DH says from his reading online that the worst of the pain will be over in a day or so, and then some lingering effects for another week or two. I'm off work til Friday, and then we'll see.

I never thought it would be so bad. I certainly will not underestimate these fuckers again.

PART 2
My toe is like a rock. I can't feel it, unless something bumps it, or I stand up to walk. It's totally paralyzed, I can't even wiggle it. The really weird part is there's no swelling or redness, which is typical of this species of scorpion stings.

We're staying at the Stratosphere, last night and tonight. Maybe even through the end of the week. It just depends on what we can get done. The church (that we don't go to, are members of, but is still awesome in cases like this) is doing their best to get us some unpacking help, and we're getting a storage unit for a bunch of our stuff that otherwise would have been in the garage. We are NOT giving ground to these fuckers.

We had to go back in for a minute today - I had to get all my work materials to a co-worker so everything will still get done. I almost had a panic attack walking back into the office. I was pretty ok in the rest of the house - paranoid, but I could touch things and do things. But walking into the office I just FROZE. I'm usually not like this, but this pain is so much worse than ANYTHING I've been through, including childbirth. The burning, stinging, gawd-awfulness of it is more than I can describe.

I'm alternating the pain pills every 4 hours, which was a bitch all night, but worth it - I was able to sleep in between, and I slept very deeply, with no dreams. Just what I needed. We got up to go to the pool, but it's outdoors and unheated. It was FREEZING. The spa was warmish, but they don't let kids in the spa, so poor Kirin couldn't do anything. We ended up leaving. Totally sucks, because we chose the Stratosphere because it had a pool and was cheap.

No comments: